I Found the Cheapest Cherry MX Mechanical Keyboard That's Actually Worth Buying (Real Review)
Mechanical keyboards have a reputation for being expensive. The moment you say "Cherry MX switches," most people picture a $150+ board that enthusiasts argue about on Reddit. So when I stumbled onto a Cherry MX keyboard that came in well under that — and actually held up to daily use — I had to share it.
Here's my full breakdown of what I found, what surprised me, and whether the low price means you're sacrificing quality.
Why Cherry MX Switches Matter
If you're new to mechanical keyboards, here's the quick version: most laptop and cheap desktop keyboards use rubber dome switches that bottom out with a mushy, imprecise feel. Mechanical keyboards use individual mechanical switches under each key. Cherry MX is the most trusted name in the business — they've been making switches since the 1980s, and their quality consistency is why they became the industry standard.
The different switch colors tell you the feel: Red = smooth, linear, great for gaming. Blue = tactile with an audible click, loved by typists. Brown = tactile but quieter, the middle ground. Each is objectively different — not better or worse, just suited to different uses.
What I Found: The Budget Cherry MX Option
The board I landed on was a tenkeyless (TKL) layout — no numpad, which makes it more portable and gives your mouse more room. Full Cherry MX switches. PBT keycaps (more durable than ABS, resist shine over time). The price at the time: under $60. That's genuinely cheap for genuine Cherry MX.
For comparison, name-brand Cherry MX boards from Corsair or Ducky typically run $100-150 for similar specs. The gap in price between budget and premium Cherry MX boards often comes down to RGB lighting, brand name, and software features — not the underlying typing experience.
30-Day Typing Test: What I Actually Noticed
Week 1: Adjustment period. Coming from a membrane keyboard, the tactile feedback felt almost aggressive. My typing speed actually dropped slightly as I learned to register keystrokes without bottoming out every key.
Week 2: Speed came back and then exceeded where I started. Once your fingers learn to "float" on mechanical keys, you stop wasting energy pressing keys harder than needed.
Weeks 3-4: The board held up perfectly. No wobble, no sticky keys, no issues. The stabilizers on the larger keys (space bar, shift, enter) are competent — they don't rattle, which is the most common complaint on budget boards.
The Compromises at This Price
No RGB — just single-color backlighting. The case is plastic, not aluminum. The software customization is limited. If you're a setup aesthetics person who wants per-key RGB and a premium metal frame, you'll need to spend more. But for pure typing performance, none of those things affect how the board feels under your fingers.
Who This Is For
This keyboard is the perfect entry point for someone who wants to experience genuine Cherry MX switches without committing $150 to find out if mechanical keyboards are their thing. It's also solid for a work setup where you need reliability and good typing feel but don't need flashy features.
I've recommended this to four people now. All four are still using it. That's the most honest endorsement I can give.
Bottom Line
The cheapest Cherry MX keyboard worth buying sits around $50-70. You won't get the premium build or the lighting show of an expensive board, but you get the thing that actually matters: real Cherry MX switches that will outlast any membrane keyboard you've ever owned and make your typing feel effortless by comparison.
What's your experience? Drop a comment below! 👇 Are you a mechanical keyboard convert? Which switches do you prefer — Red, Blue, or Brown? Tell me your setup!
Comments
Post a Comment